Galicia wine tasting
Our next wine tasting takes a deep dive into the wines of Galicia in northern Spain.
Source of some of the world's finest quality seafood, this green rainy region has a well-deserved reputation for some of the finest white wines in Spain. Home to the famous pilgrimage route to Santiago de Compostela and host to some of the world's most dramatic wine landscapes, Galicia is increasingly a sought out tourism destination.
A seafood lover's delight, Galicia's fine mineral wines are an ideal match with the fish and shellfish sourced from Galicia's cool Atlantic waters, many of which are exported to Japan!
Produced from an array of native grapes, the whites feature Albariño, Treixadura, Godello, Loureira, and other varieties, complemented by light to medium bodied reds typically made from Mencia, Caiño, Souson, and Brancellao grapes.
We will open 13-14 high quality wines in total, representing three of Galicia's five subregions, supplemented by a suite of fuller red wines from the nearby Douro region across the border in Portugal. An experience not to be missed!
aux nuages – Galicia wine tasting
When: April 22, 2018 (Sunday) 3 – 6 pm
Where: Nishi-Azabu Bridgehouse (near Hiroo station)
- A Portela - Beade Primacia 2013 (Spain / Ribeiro)
- A lovely introduction to Galician wine styles, made principally from the elegant Treixadura grape.
From Ribeiro, the second oldest appellation in Spain.
- Beira Aral - Aravo 2013 (Spain / Rias Baixas)
- A tiny artisanal production of high quality Albariño from an inland subregion of Rias Baixas right on the Portuguese border.
- Antonio Cajide - Sameiras Blanco 2013 (Spain / Ribeiro)
- Five of Galicia's noble white grape varieties blended into this elegant wine. Produced with biodynamic methods.
- Antonio Cajide - '1040' 2013 (Spain / Ribeiro)
- Barrel fermented homage to Galicia's four finest white grape varieties blended in equal parts. Only 2,660 bottles made.
- Bodegas Albamar - Albamar 2013 (Spain / Rias Baixas)
- Fine mineral Albariño blended from more than 50 tiny parcels right on the Atlantic Ocean. Ideal match for shellfish.
- Bodegas Albamar - Alma de Mar 2014 (Spain / Rias Baixas)
- Intense Albariño micro-cuvée from a single parcel just steps from the Atlantic Ocean. Only 1500 bottles made.
- Bodegas Albamar - Pepe Luis 2014 (Spain / Rias Baixas)
- Barrel fermented Albariño micro-cuvée from a single parcel just steps from the Atlantic Ocean. Only 1500 bottles made.
- Antonio Cajide - Sameiras Tinto 2012 (Spain / Ribeiro)
- Galicia's native red grape varieties blended in this soft red wine with smoky notes. Produced with biodynamic methods.
- Bodegas Albamar - 'Fusco' 2013 (Spain / Ribeira Sacra)
- Soft and delicate 100% Mencía varietal from one of the most dramatic vineyard landscapes in the world!
- Quinta das Carvalhas - Touriga Nacional 2014 (Portugal / Douro)
- 100% Touriga Nacional from an iconic Douro vineyard - freshness and floral elements. Wine Spectator Top 100 for 2017.
- Quinta das Carvalhas - Tinto Reserva 2014 (Portugal / Douro)
- Blend of three native Douro grapes from this iconic Douro vineyard - fruit, balance, and power.
- Quinta do Pôpa - Pôpa 'TR' Tinta Roriz 2012 (Portugal / Douro)
- an unusual high quality Tinta Roriz single-variety wine, made with the original foot treading method in traditional lagares
- Quinta do Pôpa - Pôpa 'VV' Vinhas Velhas 2013 (Portugal / Douro)
- a soft and complex blend of 20+ varieties from old vines of over 80 years of age - a must try!
- Quinta das Carvalhas - Tinta Francisca da Quinta das Carvalhas 2013 (Portugal / Douro)
- A very rare single variety Tinta Francisca from a parcel of very old vines at this iconic Douro vineyard - fruit and
forest elements combine with perfect balance and beautiful complexity.Only 3000 bottles made.