Winter Olympic Tasting
Our next wine tasting focuses on an eclectic selection of wines principally from Portugal and France, with a wind assist from Spain.
The tasting list is loosely based on a private fine wine dinner we conducted recently. The tasting experience was so interesting that we wanted to share it with a larger group!
We will taste through 12-13 high quality items that capture the sense of cold weather ending and spring around the corner. Starting with a fine Champagne method sparkling wine from Douro, we continue with white, rosé, red, and sweet wines. Five different styles of wine in total -- a suitable homage to the Olympic games!
Along the way we will give meaningful attention to two new producers we are importing from the Douro region of Portugal: Quinta das Carvalhas, one of the great ancient iconic Douro vineyards, and Quinta do Pôpa, a trendier, more youthful label. Both properties produce elegant and refined wines from excellent sites overlooking the Douro river.
Signup is now open, wine list will be available shortly.
When: February 25, 2018 (Saturday) 3 – 6 pm
Where: Nishi-azabu Bridgehouse (near Hiroo station)
- Real Companhia Velha Espumante Bruto 2013
- A special 3000-bottle cuvée of fine Champagne method Pinot Noir and Chardonnay from this iconic Douro producer
- Quinta do Pôpa - Pôpa DOC Douro Branco 2016 (Portugal / Douro)
- a refreshing white from indigenous Douro grapes, blended together with white grapes from very old vines
- Beira Aral - 'Aravo' 2013 (Spain / Rias Baixas)
- Artisanal Albarino handcrafted from a single parcel in the hills just near the Portuguese border
- Bodegas Albamar - Alma de Mar 2014 (Spain / Rias Baixas)
- A tiny cuvée (1500 bottles) of mineral Albarino from a single micro-parcel just steps from the Atlantic Ocean
- Château Fabre-Gasparets - 'Rosine' 2015 (France / Corbières) [organic]
- A fine gastronomic Cinsault-driven blend finished in barrel and appropriate for all seasons
- Famille Fabre - 'L'Équilibre' 2014 (France / Corbières) [organic - unsulphured]
- 100% Cabernet Sauvignon natural wine - all freshness and elegance on the palate
- Famille Fabre - 'Lux de Luc' 2014 (France / Corbières) [organic - unsulphured]
- First release of this natural wine cuvée from low yielding Grenache vines - only 3000 bottles made
- Dominio Basconcillos - 12 meses 'ecologico' 2010 (Spain / Ribera del Duero) [organic]
- a fine organic Tempranillo from a high altitude location aged for 12 months in barrel
- Quinta das Carvalhas - Touriga Nacional 2014 (Portugal / Douro)
- Fine single variety Touriga Nacional selected for Wine Spectator Top 100 Wines of 2017 (90 pts)
- Quinta do Pôpa - Pôpa 'Black Edition' Tinto 2014 (Portugal / Douro)
- a fine and complex red from indigenous grapes, blended together with grapes of great character from very old vines
- Quinta do Pôpa - Pôpa 'TR' Tinta Roriz 2012 (Portugal / Douro)
- an unusual high quality Tinta Roriz single-variety wine, made with the original foot treading method in traditional lagares
- Real Companhia Velha - Tinta Francisca da Quinta das Carvalhas 2013 (Portugal / Douro)
- A very rare and subtle varietal wine from the Tinta Francisca variety, only 3000 bottles made
- Bodegas y Viñedos Alto Sotillo - Rubiejo 'Evolución' 2011 (Spain / Ribera del Duero)
- a classic traditional style Tempranillo from a rising star in the Ribera del Duero region
- Quevedo Port Wines - Colheita 1996 Port (Portugal / Douro)
- a complex and elegant Tawny Port in Quevedo's drier, modern house style - aged for decades for your drinking pleasure!